War crimes verdict of Mobarak Hossain of Brahmanbaria on Monday
The International War Crimes Tribunal-1 concluded the trial of Hossain, allegedly a Razakar Commander at Brahmanbaria, on Jun 2 this year and kept the verdict pending.
He has been charged on five counts, which include murder, abduction, torture and crimes against humanity.
The prosecution claimed the charges against him had been proven beyond
doubt and sought the highest penalty.
After independence, 62-year-old Mobarak Hossain joined Jamaat-e-Islami and later the Awami League. He was, however, later expelled from the Awami League.
The prosecution on Apr 10 this year formally presented war crimes charges including abduction, confinement, murder and crimes against humanity, against, what it said, a Razakar Commander during 1971.
It specifically said charges against Mobarak include murdering 33 residents of Akhaura’s Tanmandayl, abduction and killing of a student named ‘Asuranjan’, torturing and killing of Abdul Khaleque, Abdul Malek and ‘Siraj’ of Kharompur village.
He denied those charges.
A case was filed against Mobarak on May 3, 2009 at a Brahmanbaria court over a killing during the Liberation War.
Although initially granted bail by the High Court, Mobarak was taken into custody by a Brahmanbaria court as he was told to surrender on Oct 19, 2011. His case was then transferred to the tribunal.
The tribunal gave him a two-month bail on Jul 15 last year and later ordered him to jail scrapping his bail on Mar 12 this year.
Investigation body of the tribunal probed allegations against him from Jul 16 last year to Jan 22 this year.